In 1651 King Charles, against much advice, headed south with 14,000-16,000 men and after a three-week march, they received a warm welcome from the citizens of Worcester, on 23rd August 1651. On the 27th, as he rested his weary army, Cromwell reached Evesham, effectively barring the King's route to London. Hearing of this development the Scots began to prepare Worcester for defence. On the 28th the Roundheads, under Lambert, took the bridge at Upton and 12,000 men assembled on the West bank of the Severn ready for an assault along the Terne River North of Powick. Cromwell, meantime, had pressed his outposts to within "half a musket shot" of the Scots, on Red Hill, east of the city. On the 3rd September he let loose 30,000 of his New Model Army upon the hapless city. In a skilful two-pronged attack at Powick Bridge and the Castle Mound, the Parliamentarians overwhelmed the stubbornly defending Scots. At around midnight the final shots were fired, 3,000 Scots were dead, many wounded and upwards of 10,000 were taken prisoner, 2,000 of which suffered transportation to the colonies and rest were put to work in the Durham mines and Fenland drainage schemes. King Charles escaped to the continent, where he waited for Cromwell's death and his restoration.
On that day, Alexander Fraser, Lord Saltoun had led a regiment of 800 of his men and was left for dead on the field but his lifelong servant, James Cardno, found his severely wounded body, carried it from the field, nursed him and took him back to Fraserburgh, they were the only two of the 800 to return home.
In September 2001, around the 350th anniversary of the Battle of Worcester, a monument was unveiled, by Sir Tam Dalyell, to honour the 3000 Scots who had died, in the battle and had lain all that time without memorial. 2000 more were later sold on as slaves, to the colonies of England Directions to the monument are as follows Directions to the monument are as follows. When you get into Worcester take the main bridge over the river Severn  (This is either the A38 of A44) this will take you to a large island at St. Johns, take the first left along the A449 towards Malvern.   Go along this road till you come to a small island, keep left, staying on the A449, as you go along, here you will see Bennett's Diary to the left, the owner, John Bennett, helped in erecting the memorial stone.  Go past the Dairy and the Manor Farm pub and in about 300 yards on the right there is a lane, called OLD ROAD, turn in to it. From the South, leave the Worcester Ring Road on the A449 towards the town centre, cross the new Powick Bridge and OLD ROAD is on the left. The memorial stone is in the car park below the very large chimneystack, which can be seen for miles, now part of a luxury flats complex and just before the ancient Powick Bridge.
The centre of Worcester, itself, is very historic and well worth a visit.


Photo is Stephen Maggs, instrumental in the fight for the memorial and the memorial itself.