BLAR NA LEINE or FIELD OF THE SHIRTS
|FRASERBURGH HERITAGE CENTRE|
|Quarry Road, Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire located next to the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses, in its sixth year, with the introduction of a wide variety of additional display features. Open Apr- Oct, Mon-Sat 11.00 to 1700 Sun 1300 to 1700. Charge two pounds fifty
Senior Citizens two pounds, Children up to 16 one pound, under 5 free. Group concessions available and guided tours out of season by prior arrangement (contact 01346 513802)
The exhibition area featuring the model of Broadsea village has been changed and throughout the summer this area also features a display on small line fishing.
Local industry is highlighted with the creation of hands-on displays.
|The area dedicated to Marconi, who carried out many of his early experiments on radio in the town, has been given an added dimension, while the area on Famous Brochers including Thomas Blake Glover, Bill Gibb and Dr David Murison has also been improved.
A fascinating new section on the history of fishing in Fraserburgh has also been created. And a new section on fish conservation and the marine environment aimed at primary school age children. The display on the work of the lifeboat crews now features a breeches buoy which can be worked by young visitors and there's section dedicated to the Second World War
There's a gift shop with Aberdeenshire products, child activities, WC, wheelchair access and plenty of car and coach parking space. Tel 01346 512888 but of course what is of most interest to Frasers is the Fraser Connection, a history of the Frasers of Philorth. The museum was also opened by Lady Saltoun.
|FRASER ROOM, BEAULY CENTRE, BEAULY, INVERNESS-SHIRE|
This brand new Fraser Museum was opened by Lord Lovat in 23 August 2003. See the excellent outline of the whole clan and its history, with family trees. To start there's a scale model of The Hector, the ship that in 1773 took Hugh Fraser's family and many other Highlanders, to Nova Scotia, where his ancestors still live. There's plenty of information on the 17th Lord Lovat, both in the community and his time as a commando, sections on the 78th Highlanders, Lovat Scouts and an explanation of the kilt. My own favourite was the model of the scaling of the path to the Heights of Abraham, at Quebec, which was led by Frasers and was the prelude to the famous Battle 1759.
|It is said that a French speaking Captain Simon Fraser talked his way and the army's, past the French guard at the river. Also ipressive is the huge list of battles and wars the clan has fought in and the full size models of a Lovat Scout, in his blue dress uniform of a non commissioned officer and a 78th Fraser Highlander circa 1778. It's only one room, at present but well worth a visit. Travel into the town centre and it's next to Beauly Priory.|
|NEXT PAGE||BACK TO TOP|