FRASER GEOGRAPHY

It is difficult to say where Frasers have not been at some stage, but the main concentrations are around Inverness and the north-east of Scotland but there are also Tweedies, a sept of the clan, in the borders, especially Tweeddale. It is also difficult to accurately say where their lands were, as there were never defined borders.

It is the Lovat Frasers that surround Inverness, their lands were in Stratherrick, which was dear to the hearts of the Lovat chiefs, the church lands of Beauly Priory in Inverness-shire, part of the South shore of Beauly Firth and the whole of Strathfarrar.


The Frasers of Philorth come from the north east and the Chief of the name of Fraser, Lady Saltoun, is herself from near Fraserburgh.

In 1375 Sir Alexander Fraser of Cowie and Durris aquired the Manor Place of Philorth which later became Cairnbulg Castle. Fraserburgh developed over many generations and at one time had its own university.

The Frasers of Muchals built Castle Fraser, which was completed 1673, which is near Inverurie and is now a National Trust for Scotland property.

BACK TO HOME PAGE>

FRASERBURGH HARBOUR
Print courtesy of Fraserburgh Paintings and Prints
email: thegallery@thebroch.info